Campbell's Soup

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The worst morning...

July 7th 2005. The second last day of my studies in London. The day after the Olympic announcement that had the entire city dancing in the streets. A beautiful summer day outside.

Lying in bed in the early hours of the morning, I toyed with the idea of ditching class and catching the Tube up to Covent Garden to while away the day in the sun. It was either 8 stations on the tube to the markets, or 2 stations on the train to college. As the morning sun started to warm the room, I decided against the heat and congestion of the underground, and started off for class.

I was on the train to college when the bombs started to go off. When I got off the train there was chaos in the station as word started to spread that something was happening back across the river. Everyone started to leave the station and walk either towards their destinations or back where we had come from.

If I hadn't decided to go to my class, I would have been on the tube that exploded in Russell Square.



It's been a year now since that day, and still the memory of it lingers within anyone who was unfortunate to be in London on that day. I will never forget the confusion and shock as I realised what was happening, the panic at not being able to contact anyone (they closed the mobile coverage), the relief at finding out that all my friends were safely at work or home.

I don't know why I changed my mind about going to the markets that morning. Laziness I guess. But I will thank God every day that he kept me safe.

Jeremiah 29:7
Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.

2 Samuel 22:3
My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my saviour— from violent men you save me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home